Tuition Fees and Costs
Academic fees, cost of living, other costs.
University education in Italy is founded by the Italian government. This is the reason why the tuition fees are generally lower than in many other countries.
The University of Siena publishes the regulations on student fees on an annual basis. Students enrolled on first cycle, second cycle and long single cycle degree programmes pay from one to four instalments of tuition fees. The amount for each international student is based on his/her country of origin and the course chosen. The amount to be paid can be calculated using this link: Fees Calculator
As of the academic year 2022/2023, the students:
who are foreigners not residing in Italy;
who are foreigners with residence or residing in Italy but not self-employed (Article 8 of DPCM 159/2013) with a family nucleus of origin residing in a country other than Italy, with income and/or assets held abroad;
who are Italians residing abroad not registered with AIRE
CANNOT present the ordinary ISEE valid for the subsidized services for the right to university study but may request the reduction of the university contribution on the basis of the equalized ISEE.
CAF AFFILIATED FOR THE COMPILATION, MANAGEMENT AND TRANSMISSION OF THE UNIVERSITY "ISEE PARIFICATO"
CAAF CGIL - Siena
via Garibaldi, 45 – 53100 Siena (SI)
tel. 0577/2541 (switchboard)
Cost of living
The average cost of living for a student in Siena amounts to approximately € 500.00 per month, the main expense being accommodation.
• Double room: around € 300.00 per month plus utilities
• Single room in centre: € 400.00 plus utilities
• Single room on the outskirts: € 350.00 plus utilities
• Double room in centre (per person): € 300.00 plus utilities
• Double room on the outskirts: € 250.00 plus utilities
• Studio/bedsit: € 700.00/750.00 plus utilities
• Italian National Health Service (not mandatory but strictly recommended): € 149 euros per year
• Cost of the first permit to stay: around € 100
• Full meal at the canteen € 4.50
• Meal in a pizzeria € 20.00
• Breakfast in a bar € 2.00
• Bus ticket (valid for 1 hour) € 1.50
• Student season (three-month) ticket/bus pass around € 94.50
• Specialist medical visit € 36.00
• Cinema € 8.00
• Newspaper € 1.20