MScGeoscienze e geologia applicata / Geosciences and applied geology
|Study location||Italy, Siena, Strada Laterina, 8 - 53100 - email: email@example.com|
Applied geology (JACS F610)
|Nominal duration||2 years (120 ECTS)|
|Awards||MSc (LM-74 Class of second cycle degrees in Geological sciences and technologies)|
The tuition fee is calculated according to the country of origin and ranges from a minimum of € 756 to a maximum of € 2,626 (per year). You can calculate the amount to be paid per year at this link.
|Application fee||€30 per programme
You will receive an e-mail with the payment instructions.
Bachelor/Undergraduate diploma (or higher)
After you have applied, an Enrolment Committee will assess your competences and skills against the requirements of the MSc Programme.
After the evaluation
The entry qualification documents are accepted in the following languages: English / Italian.
Often you can get a suitable transcript from your school. If this is not the case, you will need official translations along with verified copies of the original.
Procedures at the Italian Diplomatic Representatives
EU citizens – Non EU citizens with regular permit to stay – Italians with degrees obtained abroad
Applications are accepted from the following territories (based on citizenship): World.
In order to take the MSc courses, students must have an adequate knowledge of the English language, at minimum B2 level, as established by the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR). Students can demonstrate the required knowledge level either through an approved international certification (see the list) of international certifications recognized by the University of Siena), or by passing a B2 level exam at the Centro Linguistico di Ateneo (CLA).
After enrolment in Siena, students having an international certification must present it to the CLA office. The CLA is located in Piazza San Francesco 7, Siena (more details can be found in the related website).
For students who are obliged to pass the B2 exam, the University of Siena offers B2 level courses. Dates of the exams and timetables of the courses are reported in the CLA website. The timetable of the English courses is also included in the MSc courses timetable.
Students are strongly encouraged to pass the B2 exam as soon as possible, in order to be able to fruitfully take the MSc courses.
Knowledge of Italian language
A motivation letter must be added to your application.
please write in italian
The master’s degree course in Geosciences and Applied Geology opens the door to careers in the fields of research and applications of geology, providing job opportunities both in Italy and abroad.
The curriculum includes specialized courses in the following areas of research and development: Applied geomorphology, geophysics and seismic risk, Geology and stratigraphy, Applied geology and hydrogeology, Applied petrography, Geochemistry, Cultural heritage and geoarchaeology, GIS, Remote Sensing, Hydrocarbons and geothermal energy.
The educational excursions, both thematic and interdisciplinary, which are an integral and important part of the geologist’s training take place in different Italian locations and are widely covered with contributions from the course. 375 hours of training are also planned, which can be carried out both in university laboratories and in external companies.
The degree course in Geosciences and Applied Geology is taught in Italian.
Class MIUR: LM-74 – Master’s Degree in Geological Sciences and Technologies
Duration: 2 years
This course prepares for the professions of geologists, paleontologists, geophysicists, hydrologists and allows access to the state exam for the qualification to the profession of geologist.
The professional integration concerns public administrations, private institutions, companies and professional firms that operate in the following sectors:
- geological and thematic cartography;
- drawing up, with regard to geological instruments, plans for urban planning, the territory, the environment and geo-resources with the related safeguard measures;
- analysis, prevention and mitigation of geological, hydrogeological and environmental risks;
- analysis, recovery and management of degraded sites and abandoned mining sites;
- management of Territorial Information Systems, with particular reference to geological-environmental problems;
- studies for environmental impact assessment (EIA) and strategic environmental assessment (SEA);
- geognostic and geophysical surveys for the exploration of the subsoil and geological studies applied to civil engineering works, defining the appropriate geological-technical model and environmental hazard;
- modeling of geological processes s.l. (slope stability, water circulation, underground excavation, 2D and 3D reconstructions, etc.);
- characterization of aquifers and modeling of underground runoff problems and propagation of contaminants;
- retrieval, including economic evaluation, and management of geo-resources, including water and geomaterials of industrial and commercial interest;
- direction of mining activities;
- analysis and management of the geological, hydrogeological and geochemical aspects of pollution phenomena and the consequent risks;
- definition of prevention interventions, risk mitigation, also aimed at drawing up plans for safety measures in the workplace;
- safety coordination in temporary and mobile construction sites;
- assessment and prevention for the geological aspects of the degradation of environmental cultural heritage and study, design, construction management and testing related to conservation;
- certification of geological materials and analysis of both physical-mechanical and mineralogical-petrographic characteristics;
- analysis of the degradation of stone monuments and their conservation;
- management of geotechnical laboratories.